About Me

My photo
I have served the City of Isanti as Mayor since 2007. We have accomplished great things together and I look forward to building on our success. United, we move forward to a better future. You may contact me at 763-442-8749 or e-mail me at george@georgewimmer.com.

Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Why Rental Ordinances and Inspections are Important

I am on a Mayor's email list in which many topics are discussed. One topic that has been discussed at some length is the need for rental ordinances and inspections. I have been a bit troubled by some comments passing back and forth stating that these types of ordinances are not needed and they are an intrusion on the landlord/renter relationship and it is just nosy government.

I could not disagree more. We do not need the tragic results of the Minneapolis fire - an apartment that was not inspected for over 16 years -to prove rental ordinances and inspections are needed. http://www.startribune.com/investigators/90055707.html?elr=KArksLckD8EQDUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUac8HEaDiaMDCinchO7DU

In Isanti we have found and fixed some pretty bad and down right dangerous living conditions. I hope the trend of ripping these ordinances apart and leaving many without protection reverses itself. Some of the saddest cases affect our senior population.


No comments: