About Me

My photo
I have served the City of Isanti as Mayor since 2007. We have accomplished great things together and I look forward to building on our success. United, we move forward to a better future. You may contact me at 763-442-8749 or e-mail me at george@georgewimmer.com.

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

League of Minnesota Cities Conference

I was at the League training conference this past weekend found it to be quite helpful. First, many of the suggestions to deal with all the issues we are facing are actions we have already taken. I was especially happy to hear that Councils need to have good committees, work sessions and goals. Items we have been using for a few years now. One strong statement that was nearly beaten into the group was there is a lot of work to do and you had better make the time to do it or get off your Council and let others who are willing to do the hard work on. I have long shared that sentiment.

Secondly, Isanti has tough problems but many cities are in far worse condition from much smaller reserve funds to high dependence on LGA to aging/failing infrastructure. This fit in well with our two main budgeting goals of maintaining infrastructure/essential City services and flipping our use of LGA. I will explain the LGA flip.

Currently most cities budget the promised LGA into their budget and expect to receive what was promised. The state has failed several times to live up to its promise in the last 5 years. What we trying to work out is operating only with the LGA we have physically received. So if in 2010 we are to get $500,000 in LGA we budget as if we are getting zero then use what we are given in 2010 for the 2011 budget - hopefully the $500,000. The difficult part of course is bridging the gap. I do believe it is possible to do by changing the timing of some of our expenses and using some of our cash reserves. If we do not accomplish this then we will always be at the mercy of a State Legislature and Governor that has proven they can not live up to their promises. If we are able to do this we added great stability to Isanti's Fiscal operation.

Lastly, the conference was a good chance to discuss many issues with other Mayors and Council Members and take a fresh look at our situation. It was an energizing experience and as I always do I paid my own mileage and lodging in the spirit of keeping City cost low.

No comments: