About Me

My photo
I have served the City of Isanti as Mayor since 2007. We have accomplished great things together and I look forward to building on our success. United, we move forward to a better future. You may contact me at 763-442-8749 or e-mail me at george@georgewimmer.com.

Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Interesting Council Meeting

I will write more tomorrow but wanted to comment on a few items from tonight's Council meeting. We had a good introduction to the 5 new and expanding businesses in Isanti this month. We talked about the millions in added tax base, dozens of new jobs and the infrastructure fees that will be paid to the City.

************ We will be receiving over $140,000 in back taxes and assessments along with tens of thousands of dollars of sac/wac and other fees to help fill our dwindling coffers. *****************

The other item of note tonight was the on going liquor store discussion. We basically summed it up this way - we need good information to make good decisions. I want to keep the store if we can prove it is doing what it should. I also left the Council with a statement at the end of the meeting. I am done bringing this issue up until the Council is willing to make a decision on what to do. It does no good to keep rehashing the issue with zero progress. If the Council is willing to let the liquor store continue on its current path then so be it - I have raised the alarm what that will do to our general fund budget in the years to come.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm a little confused about the liquor store. Has it always been thought of as a "cash cow"? It was my understanding that city ownership would help control to some extent the sale of intoxicating beverages. Providing jobs and maybe the ocasional excess funding is just a plus. Are you saying that the store is a major player in city finance? The store is just like any other business,it will go up and down with the times.Please don't count on their money or throw them away.

George said...

The liquor is to provide funding to the City to help offset the need for higher taxes.