About Me

My photo
I have served the City of Isanti as Mayor since 2007. We have accomplished great things together and I look forward to building on our success. United, we move forward to a better future. You may contact me at 763-442-8749 or e-mail me at george@georgewimmer.com.

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Tax Talk 1

The expected loss of City revenue for 2011 due to LGA/MVHA cuts and decreased property values is nearly equal to the $500,000 is taxes and assessments that are in default. I constantly hear these are tough times and it is ok to let some not pay their taxes. A couple problems with that argument - who decides who the special people are that do not have to pay their taxes and without that money we have to either cut services or make actual taxpayers pay more. 


Since my first election in Isanti we have cut City property taxes by 30% and when other communities have recently hike their tax levies we have not. I hope these facts are taken into consideration the next time someone tells me the City should allow a person or business to slide when it comes to paying their taxes.....



No comments: