About Me

My photo
I have served the City of Isanti as Mayor since 2007. We have accomplished great things together and I look forward to building on our success. United, we move forward to a better future. You may contact me at 763-442-8749 or e-mail me at george@georgewimmer.com.

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Jim Kennedy's response to County News Questions




1.      Introduce Self?

I have served 8 years on the Isanti City Council and 33 years as a Foreman for Old Dutch Foods.  I am married to Yvonne, a cancer-survivor and, together, they are devoted to supporting many local community causes. I enjoy hunting and fishing with family and friends.

NEVER voted for a tax increase in any year as an elected official as he believes it is important to stay within the limited financial means of the people he serves.  My background also includes 4 years on the Economic Development Authority, 4 years on Planning Commission and 2 years on Community Education Advisory Board.  My voting record consistently includes common sense solutions to local problems.  I have earned a reputation for being a strong listener and aggressively protecting townships against forced annexations.


2.      Favor Alternative transit such as commuter rail or increased bus service?

The issue we face is a transportation system that is overburdened by the amount of traffic the last decade of growth has caused. I believe that we need to develop the most cost effective solution to our increased traffic needs. The standard needs to be set that if alternative transportation is cost effective compared to traditional forms then it can work. We cannot afford to subsidize alternative forms of transportation as this will only cause greater budget issues.

3.      Keeping a balanced county budget?

Just as our personal budgets, we must live within our means. As a public official, I respect the limited financial resources of the constituents I serve. We must use common sense in funding only those programs that are benefiting Isanti County and supported by the taxpayers. We need to establish a Long Term Financial Plan that will guide our budget decisions. Not only has the County repeatedly increased taxes the last decade but has increased spending per person at unsustainable rates.

One troubling area that I believe needs to be looked at more closely is the $250K+ budget allocated for “Part-time Commissioners” as I do not believe it is fair for “part-time” politicians to be given health-care benefits while “part-time” employees do not receive this same benefit.  Commissioner pay is roughly $27,000 a year yet we have a Commissioner making over $55,000 in pay, per-diems and benefits. Why do part-time Commissioners take full-time benefits while denying this benefit for County workers? As Commissioner I will lead by example and not make our hardworking taxpayers pay for my healthcare cost and I will take ZERO per-diems.

4.      Plan to attract new businesses and promote economic development?

I have worked on economic development during my 8 years of service on the Isanti City Council. It takes strong dedication and a long term approach to help existing businesses succeed and attracting new businesses. The County has not set a direction for County wide economic development and has not made the commitment to bring effective change to our community. We need to establish our goals working with the cities and townships to produce a truly collaborative approach that yields significant results. We can only be successful if we expand our tax base so we can afford the services we need at a cost we can afford.


5.      Priorities if elected to County Board?

I have listened to Isanti County board meetings and am disappointed in the lack of professionalism and respect given to constituents who show up at meetings and are told to “sit down and be quiet as these are internal meetings of the board.”  I believe our job is to SERVE the public and respect their input, even if we do not fully agree.  We need a transformational change that the Board serves the public, not vice versa.  I support allowing the public to speak at county board meetings. I have been doing this for 8 years on the Isanti City Council. Every one of our meetings starts out with a Citizens input period that allows our residents and taxpayers to bring up issues we do not already have on the agenda. We must listen to and respect our Citizens.

Athens Township must be protected from any forced annexation. Our rural areas are a treasure to our County and must be allowed to grow as they see fit. I have defended township rights in this area for 8 years on the Isanti City Council and am proud that Isanti has never forced any annexation. We do best as a County by allowing our individual local governments to grow and succeed on their own terms and at their own pace.

No comments: