About Me

My photo
I have served the City of Isanti as Mayor since 2007. We have accomplished great things together and I look forward to building on our success. United, we move forward to a better future. You may contact me at 763-442-8749 or e-mail me at george@georgewimmer.com.

Wednesday, December 14, 2005

December Planning Commission Update

The Planning Commission took an important first step in the Central Business District Revitalization Plan. We passed a resolution creating a Tax Increment Financing District for the CBD. I am excited about this process. This will direct resources to a vital business sector of Isanti. Main Street is the heart and soul of Isanti. Let’s keep working together to revitalize this city treasure.

The enforcement of the sign ordinance was discussed last night. I made my position clear that we have three phases in this process. First all businesses including the Municipal Liquor store must have the existing ordinance enforced equally. Secondly, I have requested city staff meet with concerned business owners to discuss updating and reforming this ordinance. Lastly the Planning Commission will need to review and make any necessary changes to ensure our business signage will balance the need to market the Isanti business community and our desire to have an attractive city.

The Planning Commission has been struggling to create an exotic animal ordinance. I would like to hear from the public what animals are currently in the city and what is considered exotic. We seem to agree that tigers and bears and should not be allowed in city limits. The issue we are concerned about is snakes and other exotics that have been banned by other model ordinances, but many people own. This topic will again be discussed at the next Planning Commission meeting.

We received an update on CITAC and I shared my concern that we need more Isanti City residents working on this issue. I also stated my great appreciation for the work that has been completed and gave my support to the ongoing effort fro long range transportation planning. This is not the sexiest issue but will have one of the greatest impacts on the development of Isanti County for Generations to come. I will be writing more specifically about CITAC in the weeks and months to come.

The last item I wish to discuss is my impact list to be reviewed when new residential or commercial development occurs. This list includes:

Road construction and maintenance cost
Traffic impact
Water capacity
Sewer capacity
Police protection
Fire protection
City staff time
Park and trail maintenance

This list will drive the creation of planning tools to calculate the impact of development. These planning tools will then dove tail into the short and long range budget and planning process. These tools will bring clear focus to the issues both positive and negative to our Rapid Residential Growth. This list will ensure that future Planning Commision Members, Council Members and Isanti Citizens will know the impact of our planning decisions. Together we are making a difference. I will keep you updated on the progress of these planning tools.

No comments: