About Me

My photo
I have served the City of Isanti as Mayor since 2007. We have accomplished great things together and I look forward to building on our success. United, we move forward to a better future. You may contact me at 763-442-8749 or e-mail me at george@georgewimmer.com.

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

February 21st City Council Update

The Exotic Animal Ordinance was tabled to have the Planning Commission review the City Attorney's comments. The Planning Commission will discuss this at the March 14th meeting.

Community Pride Bank was approved for immediate operation. The bank will initially operate out of a double wide bank trailer. The permanent structure will be built this summer with expected completion in early fall.

We discussed the Small Cities Grant. The grant will be a useful tool for continued revitalization of the Main Street Business District. I had a deep concern there was only one quote. The quote is for a company to do the application of the grant. The quote the City received was for $17,000. I told staff that if we are going to spend this much money we need at least two quotes. The company that applied has a relationship with another City contractor. I stated this can have the appearance of impropriety, especially if there are no other quotes. I believe that we always need to be above reproach when spending City funds. I moved to table this action until the next Council Meeting. There will need to be at least one other quote.

The City Council voted to approve the extension of the City sidewalk along County 23. This action will create a safe route along highway 23 from South Passage to Isanti Parkway. This was a personal goal from the moment I started to run for City Council.

The City Conflict of Interest Policy was reviewed by the City Attorney. I asked if we could have applicants for City Boards and Commissions fill out the Conflict of Interest forms when they apply. This is important to consider and will hopefully avoid having commissioners and board members who have conflicts of interest. We need to have Citizens serving without a personal or financial stake in business before the City.

No comments: