About Me

My photo
I have served the City of Isanti as Mayor since 2007. We have accomplished great things together and I look forward to building on our success. United, we move forward to a better future. You may contact me at 763-442-8749 or e-mail me at george@georgewimmer.com.

Saturday, February 04, 2006

February 7th Council Meeting

There are a few important items on the February 7th Council Meetings.

The first item that I wish to discuss is the Business Subsidy for Federated Co-op. The subsidy is the first step in the overall Central Business Districts (CBD) Revitalization program. The subsidy is paid out of increased tax revenue. This revenue is generated when Federated builds a new facility. Isanti will continue to receive its current tax revenue. The new building will be more attractive and generate a higher level of tax revenue in the long term.

It is critical the first project in the CBD is a success. We have many more opportunities along Main Street. Success breeds success. We need to make sure this process continues with all the support we can muster.

The Council will be taking official action to request a speed study on Highway 23. This study will be conducted by the county. The goal is to move the City speed zone further south on Highway 23. As we extend the city limits the slower speed zones will need to follow suit.

The next agenda item I want to discuss is the option of having a 4 way stop at the intersection of Highway 23 and 5. This is a stop gap until the traffic light is installed. I am not convinced a 4 way stop will make the intersection safer. The end result may be more accidents unless the intersection has flashing lights or other clearly marked signs. I also fear long traffics lines on Highway 5. I am looking into this further and do not currently know which way I will vote on this proposal.

Mr. Iverson’s resignation form the EDA will be acted on. I have written previously on this topic. http://georgewimmer.blogspot.com/2006/02/eda-opening.html

The last major item is the City Fee schedule. The fee schedule ranges from developer to builder to citizen. All fees are being reviewed. City staff is requesting a raise in many areas. There are some significant possible increases. These range from dog impounding to deck and siding fees. I suggest if you want input into these fees you attend the Council meeting.

No comments: