About Me

My photo
I have served the City of Isanti as Mayor since 2007. We have accomplished great things together and I look forward to building on our success. United, we move forward to a better future. You may contact me at 763-442-8749 or e-mail me at george@georgewimmer.com.

Monday, June 12, 2006

June 8 Greater Twin Cities Land Use Workshop

On June 8th I was a panelist for a discussion on the impact of development in the Collar Counties held in Monticello.

The Developer Representative made two key points. Developers come into a community and use the rules that are in force. This is an important point since it points out one the real problems with poor city development. It is the city's fault. A community must have a comprehensive plan and ordinances that will shape development. This is critically important for Isanti considering we have out grown our Comprehensive Plan.

The second point was in response to a question I asked him after the panel discussion. Does he think it would be appropriate to use a moratorium on development until the City Comprehensive plan is complete. He stated that many Cities do it and that it often helps developers in the long run.


I will be writing more on this topic in the days and weeks to come.

No comments: