About Me

My photo
I have served the City of Isanti as Mayor since 2007. We have accomplished great things together and I look forward to building on our success. United, we move forward to a better future. You may contact me at 763-442-8749 or e-mail me at george@georgewimmer.com.

Friday, June 02, 2006

R1 and R2 Rentals

I have received an idea on a solution for rental properties in any zone. The idea is to have a landlord registration. This would require property landlords to register and pay a small fee. This would allow the City to be aware of the rental property within city limits.

The City could then track any issues with "problem" properties. The balance would be established between those needing or wanting to rent properties and the need of homeowner occupied houses.

The proposed solution is already in place in Minneapolis and Brooklyn Park. The final step in this process is to have vigorous enforcement if a nuisance is found.

I want to thank all those with pro and con arguments. I believe open communication is key to solving any problem.

Please let me know if you have any comments on this solution.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

George: I owned a townhome in Oakdale MN and in order to have a rental in the city you must have a yearly inspection and pay a $50 rental fee. It was a great system and kept things under control.

George said...

That seems like a good idea. The yearly inspection would be very helpful.

Anonymous said...

George,

This rental idea deserves consideration. To strengthen our community, we need to have outstanding relationships with each other, especially as neighbors. Including landlords in our community makes the bonds between us even stronger. Open and honest communication (especially up front) will do wonders to lessen problems in the future. I would, as always, focus on keeping the fee small and concentrate on enforcement.

If we as a community can do small things (like foster good relationships between landlords and tenants) we can build a strong community that we are all proud to call home.