About Me

My photo
I have served the City of Isanti as Mayor since 2007. We have accomplished great things together and I look forward to building on our success. United, we move forward to a better future. You may contact me at 763-442-8749 or e-mail me at george@georgewimmer.com.

Sunday, September 24, 2006

Safe Guarding Distinct Isanti Neighborhoods


Safe Guarding Distinct Isanti Neighborhoods


Isanti has several distinct neighborhoods. Hillock Court and the Richard/Candy areas are examples. These are tranquil oases that dot the Isanti landscape. Their mature trees and quiet streets act as a buffer to the rapid residential growth that is engulfing Isanti.

The City Council unfortunately voted 3-2, I voted against, to shatter the Hillock Court neighborhood in 2005. A through street will be constructed at the end of the cul-de-sac allowing a multifamily development to the north. I believe distinct neighborhoods should be protected from cookie cutter development. Isanti should try to keep some of its uniqueness.

The Council and Mayor Apitz are unfortunately at it again in this year. The Elizabeth/Broadway area is slated for sidewalks next year. This area has very little traffic. The sidewalk will destroy beautiful mature trees and be a needless cost for residents and the city alike. I want to use the City portion of this sidewalk project to extend sidewalks on highway 5 and 23.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

it takes a long time, many years, to have trees like that. they are not replaceable for those people along those streets. don't get me wrong though, i'm all for sidewalks for our children, but in a low traffic area we could say no and apply that money else where that has high traffic use and more danger. it's not rocket science. what do the people that live on those streets want? remember when your on the board your job is to look out for our best interests. thanks for your vote George!

Anonymous said...

I had a chance to see the area in question, yes I agree that the city has the job of providing basic services, however the good must out way the bad and for this area, the bad ia all I see. I live in a neighborhood without sidewalks and could not imagine the pain it would be to take down numerous 20+ year old trees for a sidewalk. Is there a problem with walkers and cars? Or is it like any small area, people watch out for each other? I hope the people in this area are fighting to keep the sidewalks out.

Anonymous said...

Our town off streets do not need sidewalks. There is very little traffic on these streets. The trees and basic landscape of these areas should remain intact.

Be patient, George---the election is just weeks away. Then the senseless decisions that have plagued this darling town will stop.

Anonymous said...

I hope everyone realizes that if you do not win Elizabeth is going to be destroyed.

I have been talking to everyone over here about you. Keep up the great work. we are getting closer to your win.