About Me

My photo
I have served the City of Isanti as Mayor since 2007. We have accomplished great things together and I look forward to building on our success. United, we move forward to a better future. You may contact me at 763-442-8749 or e-mail me at george@georgewimmer.com.

Monday, September 18, 2006

September 18th Work Session

The Council will be holding a work session Monday September 18th. We will be discussing the Radium results on test well #3. The results came in roughly twice the legal limit for Radium. We will be discussing options at tonight's work session.

The other main issue at tonight's work session is Municipal State Aid Streets. Isanti is now officially over 5,000 residents. This allows for direct state aid for a number of high traffic streets in Isanti. This will help the city fund street projects.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, where is that much additional radium coming from? Does the city have any idea how the well (aquifer) got contaminated? Are there filtration options that would removed enough to get down to acceptable levels?

George said...

I believe this is naturally occuring. I will verify that. Our water will have to get treated at some point. The intial option will be to blend the water with the well # 1 but that can only go so far. WE have greater and greater demands on water. We currently pump 24 hrs a day a t full rate. This will slow during winter but will be full blast again next spring with watering.

As the city grows the need for water follows. The infrastructure is not currently capable to sustain this growth.

Anonymous said...

Is the limitation on the supply lack of pumping ability, or on the storage capacity of the watertower?

I can't find the study, but hasn't the radium been a problem for a while and is not decreasing? Ah found an article from a year ago that states it was above average then. Why would be not begin treating now? Could you update the blog on what was decided, thanks.

George said...

We will make a decision after we get the full test from the pumping well in about 2-3 weeks.

I do think we need to look at treatment first. We can do the mixing of the water but that will only last so long...it will cost more to do the mixing well only to later have to do the treatment plant....the treatment plant will also be able to treat more than just the radium...

I see it as we will have to pay sooner or later..and later cost more....and we can actually get drinkable water if it is treated. I will write more when the final information comes in.

Anonymous said...

Virotec has an economical solution for removing radium from your water. The best contact would be Neil Bardach at 917-868-6912. They use a product called Bauxsol.
My e-Mail address is bhthompson10@aol.com if I can be of any help.

Anonymous said...

I too know of another company that would be interested in providing service to the city...

Let me know!