About Me

My photo
I have served the City of Isanti as Mayor since 2007. We have accomplished great things together and I look forward to building on our success. United, we move forward to a better future. You may contact me at 763-442-8749 or e-mail me at george@georgewimmer.com.

Friday, December 19, 2008

Local Government Aid

We were just informed that the LGA cut to Isanti is $112,000. This was for our 2008 budget - money already spent. The Finance Committee will be meeting on Monday to finalize our plan to amend this years budget.

We are also working under the expectation that the $514,000 promised by the state for 2009 will be deeply slashed. Spending cuts will be offered to amend the 2009 budget. I put together a list of cuts and other tools to balance the 2009 budget. I will be detailing this out in the days to come.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How can the state cut 2008 LGA in the middle of December??

George said...

The state only has a few options to cut and since the checks to Cities do not go out till December 26th we were cut.

It is wrong and causes devastation to our City budget. The state has shown it is not competent. DFL blames the Governor and the Governor blames the Legislator. Both have failed us and I fear they will continue to fail us.

This is why as part of our solution I will be asking the Council to budget us off of LGA. If we receive it great and it can go into a rainy day fund but we can no longer allow incompetence on the state level to hurt our Citizens.

Anonymous said...

It would be great to have a balanced budget without the LGA, and then city could use whatever LGA comes through to pay down city debt each year.

Excellent work, keep it up.

Anonymous said...

its nice to have a mayor we can trust and knows what he is doing!