About Me

My photo
I have served the City of Isanti as Mayor since 2007. We have accomplished great things together and I look forward to building on our success. United, we move forward to a better future. You may contact me at 763-442-8749 or e-mail me at george@georgewimmer.com.

Monday, December 01, 2008

My Isantian Article

We have a few new items to discuss. I would like to congratulate Mr. Kolb and Mr. Kennedy on their election to 4 year terms on the City Council. I would also like to congratulate Mr. Duff on his election to the County Board representing Bradford Township and the City of Isanti. This leaves an opening on the City Council for 2009-2010; the Council will determine the best way to fill this vacancy at the first meeting in January. Go to www.cityofisanti.us for the complete election results of Mayor and Council.

The Council will hold a Goal Setting session at the end of January. I have high hopes for this meeting as it sets the Agenda for the next 2 years. The Goals we set in 2007; Long Term Financial Plan, 3 centering on economic growth and our Water Treatment Plant have all been great successes. We have been able to cut taxes and City spending in the last 2 budget cycles and will continue to work towards fulfilling our Long Term Financial Plan. We have grown existing businesses and attracted new ones to our City accomplishing our 3 economic growth goals which diversifies our tax base and should continue to allow us to ease our tax burden. Our Water Treatment Plant is being constructed and will be in operation by the summer of 2009, providing clean and safe drinking water for generations to come.

I will be presenting my agenda at the Goal setting session but more importantly I want to hear from you. I want the input of our Citizens and Taxpayers. If you have ideas for specific projects or overall goals of the City please contact me at George@GeorgeWimmer.com, write to P.O. Box 25 Isanti, MN 55040 or call me directly at 763-444-7158. I want your voice heard as we continue to move Isanti into a brighter future.

We face significant challenges in these tough economic times but we have developed processes to manage the home foreclosure issue and non-payment of taxes and assessments. Our process of handling the effects of home foreclosure is being hailed as a model for the region. From a high of 116 occupied foreclosed homes at the end of August we now have 74 in November – a 36% decrease. Our financial planning the last 2 years has allowed us to cut spending and taxes while developing healthy fund balances. This is important in tough economic times as we face the non-payment of taxes and assessments. We continue to work diligently to help existing businesses grow and recruiting new companies to Isanti. The methods we developed over the last two years to attract businesses brought us the recognition of the Economic Development Association of Minnesota when Isanti was awarded the prestigious Business Recruitment Award in June. The City of Isanti is well placed to handle the tough economic times we face.

I will be delivering the State of the City address at the February 18th Isanti Area Chamber of Commerce Luncheon and March 7th I will be jumping at the Arctic Plunge on Long Lake. The Plunge Committee raised over $20,000 last year for Isanti Search and Rescue. One last item, don’t forget you can listen to the audio of past Council meetings by going to the City website and clicking the link.

No comments: