About Me

My photo
I have served the City of Isanti as Mayor since 2007. We have accomplished great things together and I look forward to building on our success. United, we move forward to a better future. You may contact me at 763-442-8749 or e-mail me at george@georgewimmer.com.

Tuesday, December 09, 2008

A Quick Update

My post have slowed the last two weeks due to a great deal of work we have been doing at the City. We are preparing for the very real possibility that part or all of our remaining Local Government Aid (LGA) dollars that we were promised for 2008 will be withheld by the State so they can balance their budget. LGA makes up about 16% of our budget. I also expect that the dollars promised for the 2009 budget will be slashed.

I have said previously we are fiscally sound and are well placed for such an occurrence. This does not mean that we will not have to make tough choices.

We are working on two separate Federal Stimulus programs that are progressing through the system. One is an initial infrastructure program and the other is an assistance program to help sell foreclosed homes. Both are moving at warp speed and we have been spending a great deal of time and energy to get these federal dollars spent locally. I am certain there will be many more such programs developed at the federal and state level.

Some will disagree with the use of federal dollars as stimulus and I have great sympathy for the position but I must be the chief advocate for the City of Isanti. I will update you as we progress on each of these.

1 comment:

Brian said...

Its a good thing you've been working on a plan since Pawlenty's comments pretty much sealed it.

Thankfully you've been able to better position Isanti, I don't want to think about what might have been.