About Me

My photo
I have served the City of Isanti as Mayor since 2007. We have accomplished great things together and I look forward to building on our success. United, we move forward to a better future. You may contact me at 763-442-8749 or e-mail me at george@georgewimmer.com.

Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Endorsements

 I will be making my endorsements of local candidates by the 15th of June. The process is a local candidate makes the request and then we meet and find out if the person is a strong principled individual who will make our community better. This is not a pact to vote the same way on issues. I am looking for candidates that will move our community forward at all levels of government. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wondering about that...sounds like a "good ol' boy" thing that the likes of Commissioner Duff has been trying to depose of. Should people be endorsed by a mayor? Is this a regular practice in other cities? How can we as citizens be sure that this is not some under handed way to control the city? It seems like a wierd, and slighly shady process frankly. Although, I'd still vote for you, not sure that you should endorse others...it makes small town politics seem fishy. --thanks. Joan

George said...

Well I could not disagree more.... All an endorsement is a public acknowledgement of who you think would be good in office. It is completely transparent and in the public spotlight unlike many who do things behind the scenes to influence races - like rumor mongering.

Commissioner Duff has endorsed Council Member Lorinser for City Council on Facebook so you may want to ask him his thoughts on endorsements as well.

Endorsing for me started in 2006 when I was constantly asked who I thought would be good on the Council. It has evolved to the point of making it an open and transparent process so the public is kept informed.

I believe this quote comes closest to why I endorse candidates -

"Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote."
-- George Jean Nathan (1882-1958)

I believe it is important to get good honest people elected cause one person can not do it alone....