About Me

My photo
I have served the City of Isanti as Mayor since 2007. We have accomplished great things together and I look forward to building on our success. United, we move forward to a better future. You may contact me at 763-442-8749 or e-mail me at george@georgewimmer.com.

Thursday, August 25, 2005

Planning Commission Reform

I have stated in the past that I will be working to reform Isanti's planning process. These reforms will include, but are not limited to, reviewing ordnances, establishing new criteria for tree preservation and an “Owners List”.

The ordance review will include eliminating bad and conflicting ordnances, proposing new ordnances and rewriting old ordnances to bring these up to date. Examples may include driveway and parking pad issues along with lot size issues. We should also make sure we preserve individual neighborhoods. I do not want each section of Isanti to be the same as every other section of the city. There also needs to be a review of what commercial properties should be located next to a residential neighborhood.

Tree preservation is a key issue. We can all see the effects of clear cutting acres of land then building homes only to replant hundreds of tiny trees. Many of these new trees die and will not provide the shade and landscaping value for decades to come. We need to put in place criteria to direct developers to save as much natural tree growth as possible.

The final item is the “Owners List”. I came up with the idea as I was riding along with a City of Isanti building inspector. This would be a list of items that the new home owner should be made aware of. These may include landscaping and tree requirements, fencing and home modification ordnances. This will be a list I hope to compile in the next 6 months talking with builders and home owners. This list would help better prepare new residents moving into the city of Isanti. I will be happy to hear any suggestions you may have.

No comments: