About Me

My photo
I have served the City of Isanti as Mayor since 2007. We have accomplished great things together and I look forward to building on our success. United, we move forward to a better future. You may contact me at 763-442-8749 or e-mail me at george@georgewimmer.com.

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

November 3rd Cambridge/Isanti School District Property Tax Levy Request

The vote on the Cambridge/Isanti School District Property Tax Levy hike is November 3rd. There has only been pro levy increase marketing - I have received my third phone call from Citizens Voting Yes Yes. The yes vote campaign did start quite late but that may have been a strategic decision so an anti-levy group could not organize in time - not sure as I am not part of this process. I would not be to surprised if the Levy does pass even in these tough times.
The fact this is an off year election and participation will be considerably lower than in a normal election year also helps the pro tax increase group. Regardless of how you vote make sure your vote is heard. There are strong arguments on both sides of the School District's property tax increase proposal. This is an incredibly difficult issue in tough economic times.
The sad fact is if the levy fails there will be difficult decisions and even if it passes it appears to be only a band aid for a few years and they will be back again for more. Nothing that was lost previously like the Marching Band will be brought back.
I have two young children in the School District and the teachers and staff do a fantastic job. I am adding the website link to the Citizens Voting Yes Yes and if there was an anti-levy group I would include their website as well. The School District also has information and I will be including that link as well.

No comments: