About Me

My photo
I have served the City of Isanti as Mayor since 2007. We have accomplished great things together and I look forward to building on our success. United, we move forward to a better future. You may contact me at 763-442-8749 or e-mail me at george@georgewimmer.com.

Thursday, November 12, 2009

Isanti County News uses False Headline

The Isanti County News has used a false headline for reasons only they know. Their published headline is

Mayor requests change of own term limit

Completely false - my term ends December 31st 2010 no matter what. If a 4 year term is approved it only take force after the next election and the new Mayoral term begins.

They have now changed the online version to Isanti to consider changing mayoral term limit which is much more accurate. The damage to my reputation is already done. They have painted a picture with that headline as if I am trying to extend my term of office. This rumor is out there and this headline only fuels this nonsense. Unfortunately many people will not read the story and will only see this headline. The body of the story is correct and well reported.

Why the Isanti County News Editor allowed this is beyond me and hopefully is not a politically motivated attempted to undermined needed reform. I sent them an email yesterday expressing my disgust at their actions and have yet to receive a response.

This is another example of why good people do not even consider running for office. One libelous headline and your reputation earned over years of public service is flushed away.

Please pass this on to residents of Isanti. I have never asked this before but this type of damage is so hard to fix alone, especially when I am fighting against a newspaper that buys its ink by the barrel.

6 comments:

Jill Reller said...

I saw that. I was angry - I hate when they twist stories.
OY!
Hang in there. PLEASE!

Michelle said...

I read it too. I was so mad how you get treated. Keep up the good fight and do not let them get you down. We will work even harder for you now

Anonymous said...

Almost every elected official position in Minnesota is a 4-year term so this request seems very reasonable.

Anonymous said...

You are the best thing ever that has happened to the city of Isanti. Please keep up the good work. Do not let them get you down.

Anonymous said...

Politics stink!!! One misleading or lying headline and George gets tarred with this and his reputation gets drug through the mud. Why bother? You get paid nothing and everyone yells at you.

Tracie said...

You will ALWAYS have our vote George! You are the best thing that has happended to this town. The good ol' boys club is gone!