About Me

My photo
I have served the City of Isanti as Mayor since 2007. We have accomplished great things together and I look forward to building on our success. United, we move forward to a better future. You may contact me at 763-442-8749 or e-mail me at george@georgewimmer.com.

Thursday, April 13, 2006

Planning Commission Update

The Sign Ordinance and Exotic Animal Ordinance received no public comments at the Public Hearing. These will now move forward to the full City Council. A Petition was received asking the Planning commission to look at parking restriction of commercial vehicles in residential areas of Isanti.

The only contentious issue at the meeting was the Final Plat for Fairway Greens Phase two. This is the property just north and east of the cemetery on County 5 and east of 65. The tough issue is the four apartment buildings. These apartments will be adjacent to the cemetery. I voted in favor of this because there will also be a commercial development to the west and abutting County Highway 5.

I believe with the apartment building is the best use of this land. Very few people would want to own a home that is adjacent to a cemetery, a large commercial district and a major County Highway.

We are at our limit I think of apartment buildings. We need to keep a balance of all housing options and not be to heavily slanted to rental properties. I was also concerned about the added traffic on highway 5. This one of my most difficult decisions on the Planning Commission. I know some will not be happy with this vote but I felt it was the best option under these unique circumstances.

The last item was the request from the Isanti County Planning Commission to give our opinion on the proposed change in agricultural zoning to allow for a motor sport track. My direct quote was it is a terrible-terrible-terrible idea. The Planning commission voted to recommend not allowing this type of use in an agricultural area.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just curious to find out if McDonald's is coming to Isanti?