About Me

My photo
I have served the City of Isanti as Mayor since 2007. We have accomplished great things together and I look forward to building on our success. United, we move forward to a better future. You may contact me at 763-442-8749 or e-mail me at george@georgewimmer.com.

Thursday, April 06, 2006

Response to Commissioner Duff's Letter to the Paper

I found Commissioner Duff’s letter to the paper on storm water ponds quite interesting. Mr. Duff wants homeowners to own the land that makes up these ponds. Currently the City owns this land. He states three reasons for this change of policy:

1. Residents can claim greater ownership of land
2. Residents are more likely to collectively protect the integrity of privately held land
3. City liability on these properties may be reduced.

I am on the Planning Commission with Mr. Duff and he has not had this issue on the agenda for discussion. I hope he would avail himself of the full Planning Commission to discuss this issue. I like new ideas. There seems to be four significant issues with this proposal however:

1. Residents may be able to claim greater ownership of land, they will however have no uses of this land as it is designated as a holding pond. This may give a false feeling of ownership.

2. The resident is to maintain their section of the holding pond. This is an unfunded mandate. Holding ponds gather water from a larger area than just the immediate neighborhood. The cost of its maintenance should not be on those that simple abut the pond.

3. If the land is owned by the resident they will be taxed on the land. These will set-up the owner of the land paying a significantly higher tax bill with no benefit.

4. I am hard pressed to see how the City would lose liability for a structure it is mandating be built. Resident ownership may lead to having liability in case of a lawsuit.

I hope Mr. Duff will in the future bring such ideas to the Planning Commission so we can have this conversation in a constructive manner. I also hope Mr. Duff will support the Ordinance reforms I have laid out in the past. The Planning Commission has reformed the Driveway Ordinance and is currently working on the Exotic Wildlife and Sign Ordinance.

George Wimmer
Isanti City Council Member

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mr Wimmer,

Apparently, you are man who can do no wrong? Apparently, you are the only one besides a few of your closest political allies (see other websites that you plug) that can provide good for the City of Isanti.

While I can appreciate the marketing savvy of this website, you offer very little insight to how your plan will help Isanti in the future except slamming others. You apparently use tactics I best use as scary to get people on your side.

Apparently, if you disagree with someone they are intolerable and wrong. Isn't government about cooperation and coming to decisions for the common cause, not your own personal cause? What drives me crazy today about politics is the candidates who feel they need to rip others instead of showing their true ability to lead the community.

Show us it's not politics as usual and sell your ideas without stomping on others to make yours look so "darn" good. Sell us something new. How about your intelligence over your tongue?

If this even makes your blog, it would be interesting.

George said...

This is a curious post Craig. Would you also think it wrong of Mr. Duff for not comprimising on his position.

I explain my position and votes for all to see and comment on. Everyone knows were I stand on the issues facing Isanti. If you do not agree that is fine...but instead of argueing a point as I did in my response to Mr. Duff's letter, you attack me personally.

I assume with your comments you either did not read my numerous postings or website or you have your own agenda.

Craig...read through the blog you will see many crticisms of me. I do not delete them. I use this blog to communicate with the Citizens of Isanti.

George said...

one more question Craig where in this did I "rip" Mr. Duff. Please point this out...I am quite curious.