About Me

My photo
I have served the City of Isanti as Mayor since 2007. We have accomplished great things together and I look forward to building on our success. United, we move forward to a better future. You may contact me at 763-442-8749 or e-mail me at george@georgewimmer.com.

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

My Statement on CM Larson's Actions

We all ran for office using words like integrity, honesty and transparency. I believe that what we say and the words we use mean something.

I have been waiting for over a month for CM Larson to accept her wrongdoing and to apologize. Instead, in her public remarks after the council’s initial actions she admitted no guilt. When I asked her if she would sign a similar erroneous mileage reimbursement from a CM she said she would. In her published comments, she makes it quite clear she does not understand conflicts of interest. She stated she could get around a conflict of interest by giving a gift to a spouse or children.

CM Larson’s actions continue to cause the City, this Council and me personally, immeasurable damage. CM Larson’s multiple acts of wrongdoing cast suspicion on this Council and how Isanti is governed. Isanti needs to be focused on the goals the council established of LTFP, Comprehensive economic growth and building our water treatment plant. We should be celebrating the newly formed Isanti City Partnership, which is the partnership between the City of Isanti EDA and the Isanti area Chamber. Instead we have had to answer questions from the State Auditor’s office numerous Citizens inquire of our accounting practices. I have been bombarded with hundreds of e-mails, phones calls and face to face complaints as I go shopping or simply walking with my family or playing in the yard with my children. I have been copied on several letters sent to the County Attorney asking him to investigate.

We have serious challenges and incredible opportunities in front of us. We need the publics’ trust now more than ever. The public deserves integrity, honesty and transparency from its elected officials.

I gave CM Larson the benefit of the doubt in 2006 for her personal misuse of a City of Isanti Credit Card. In return I was slapped in the face with an erroneous request for mileage reimbursement.

This Council’s reputation has suffered and my judgment has been called into question. This has weighed heavy in my mind since the beginning of February when I uncovered her trying to get reimbursed for expenses she did not incur.

I have lost trust and respect for CM Larson. CM Larson’s pattern of behavior and public statements prove to me there is only one option left to ensure the public trust. Tonight, I ask Miss Larson to take the honorable course and resign her City Council seat. Please spare our city from further shame and disgrace by stepping down. We need to move past this scandal so we can focus on the many positives in our great city. If Miss Larson chooses to stay on the council, I will ask for a vote of no confidence and to remove her from all committee assignments and from representing this council in the future. I also believe the past and present issues should be forwarded to the County Attorney to investigate to assure the public that if the level of misconduct is criminal it will be handled fairly and objectively.

We must rebuild the public trust that Miss Larson’s continued actions have damaged.

No comments: