About Me

My photo
I have served the City of Isanti as Mayor since 2007. We have accomplished great things together and I look forward to building on our success. United, we move forward to a better future. You may contact me at 763-442-8749 or e-mail me at george@georgewimmer.com.

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

March 18th 2008 Council Update

The Council tonight unanimously approved the contract with the new City Engineer, Bolten & Menk, Inc.

The Council also approved a contract with ECM publishers to print our City Newsletter. I will be posting my Isantian article here shortly. This article detail my reasoning for improving the newsletter.

The Council approved a conditional use permit for a new indoor play park business. This would be an added attraction to Isanti especially in the winter months.

The Council approved a 3% cost of living increase for all non-union employees. This matches the increase given to the the public works employees and what is being offered to the police union employees.

The Council authorized an open house to discuss the proposed rental ordinance. I have worked on this issue for the past nine months. The City needs to enact a rental ordinance for the protection of renters and property owners. It gives us useful tools to manage an ever larger segment of our housing stock.

We should also be clear that landlords are running a business. Just as the City and other levels of government regulate and license businesses, rental businesses also need to be regulated. This is an issue many cities are tackling due to growth and the change in the housing market.

No comments: