About Me

My photo
I have served the City of Isanti as Mayor since 2007. We have accomplished great things together and I look forward to building on our success. United, we move forward to a better future. You may contact me at 763-442-8749 or e-mail me at george@georgewimmer.com.

Wednesday, June 03, 2009

City Council Update

I informed the Council tonight of ongoing discussions with East Bethel and St. Francis. The discussions started roughly 1 1/2 years ago and evolved into how our cities may end up growing together. St. Francis had at that time just purchased land in Athens Township for their municipal treatment plant. I had updated Athens Township Board Chair after each meeting on what had been discussed. He and another board member met with the three cities earlier this year to discuss how all of us could come to a mutual agreement. At last weeks meeting between the cities a significant event occurred. My suggestion of an orderly annexation agreement between all the entities was not supported but a more aggressive forced annexation was proposed. I asked East Bethel representatives- if the City of Isanti did not want to participate in a forced annexation what would they do - they said they would forcibly annex all of Athens Township into East Bethel. I asked if I may quote them on that statement and they each said yes.

A large geographic city like East Bethel forcibly annexing all of Athens township would be a detriment to the City of Isanti and have other significant repercussions. Isanti has a defined border to our north through agreement with Cambridge - if East Bethel comes all the way to our current southern border the City of Isanti will be sandwiched into a situation that will in my opinion severely limit Isanti's future. I asked the Council to give guidance on this topic and to assign a committee to work on this issue formally as time may be short. The Council gave two directions - The Development Advisory Committee will begin work on this issue immediately and an orderly annexation agreement should be the first option to be worked out with Athens Township if they are willing, if not all other options must be researched.

I am on the Development Advisory Committee and I believe we must come to some resolution on this issue expeditiously. Athens Township was not slated for future City expansion by Isanti but we can not allow ourselves to be overcome by events. I can not stress enough the harm that would be done to Isanti if another City annex all of Athens Township. An orderly annexation agreement between Isanti and Athens would ensure two things - 1st that Athens Township would be around for 50 years or more and secondly that the city of Isanti's future would be secure.

Isanti has never forced an annexation and this policy has served us well. I however will not allow all of Athens Township to be consumed by another city - I hope we can reach a mutual agreement that protects all parties involved.

In other items I declared June 16th City of Isanti Employer and Employee Appreciation Day. We will be hosting a lunch on the 16th from 11:30 to 1pm for our employers and employees. Senator Olseen, Representative Eastlund, Commissioner Duff and City Engineer DeWolf will be serving the food. We have an opening on the Economic Development Authority. If you have interest in serving please Contact Carla Vita at City Hall. We need great yard nominations - please send to me or Lisa Krause at City Hall. Also still looking for a 2nd place prize sponsor. The sponsor funds the prize money of $50 each of three months for a total financial commitment of $150.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I live in Athens and there is no way I want to live in east bethel. I have never heard any of this was going on from our board. What are we going to do on our own? What would Isanti do to our township if we agreed to go in with you?

Anonymous said...

What would happen to police and fire departments? What does East Bethel have? Would Athens be represented on the Eeast Bethel City Council or are we just going to be told what to do? What will happen to our taxes?

Anonymous said...

George how can you stop us from getting wiped out by East Bethel.

George said...

The Isanti City Council at the June 2nd, 2009 meeting gave the direction of an orderly annexation agreement with Athens Township which would allow each landowner to determine if they want to be annexed by the City of Isanti. This is the process the City of Isanti has historically followed. Isanti has not forced individual landowners into the City.

If Athens Board ask us to participate we will. I can not answer what would happen if annexed to East Bethel. That would be their decision.