About Me

My photo
I have served the City of Isanti as Mayor since 2007. We have accomplished great things together and I look forward to building on our success. United, we move forward to a better future. You may contact me at 763-442-8749 or e-mail me at george@georgewimmer.com.

Thursday, January 28, 2010

County 5 and 8th Accident

I try to wait a day or so to write about an issue when I get angry. I am still mad as hell but hopefully will be able to get my point across.

Last year I had asked for a meeting with the School District to discuss what I considered a dangerous intersection at County 5 and 8th just north of the Intermediate School. The School District and the City both agreed that this was an issue and we jointly asked to have the speed limit lowered to 30 or 40 miles and a school zone at this intersection.

The Council was informed last week that this was rejected and only a short distance would be reduced in speed from highway 65 to the cemetery but not to the dangerous intersection. County 5 is controlled by the County and MnDot.

Yesterday a crash occurred in this very spot in the morning during the drop off of children. We try very hard to fix problems before they start but unfortunately the state system is setup to only react after harm or even death occurs. I drive through this intersection twice every school day and it was obvious to me that a serious accident was only a matter of time. The stacking of the school buses turning south on 8th and made it difficult to see so when the car pulled out it was hit by a car going 55 mph - the legal speed limit. This is terribly unsafe.

The City will present this new information to the County and MnDot and I hope common sense will finally prevail. If they refuse to protect the safety of our Citizens and children I will wage a constant campaign to change their mind.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That intersection is extremely dangerous. The speed limit in that area is deeply concerning. Every single person who has used that intersection in the mornings or afternoons during school drop off knows that changes need to happen. Thank you George for your efforts. I completely agree!!

Sign Lady said...

Totally agree! We have wondered why the signs were not up yet.
The lower speed would also help with the traffic going across 65 and continuing on Co Rd 5.
So many come flying across still going 55 mph.
Please keep fighting the fight. You are very appreciated!