About Me

My photo
I have served the City of Isanti as Mayor since 2007. We have accomplished great things together and I look forward to building on our success. United, we move forward to a better future. You may contact me at 763-442-8749 or e-mail me at george@georgewimmer.com.

Saturday, November 19, 2005

Fire District Update

I am writing this letter to my friends and neighbors in Athens, Bradford, Oxford, Spencer Brook, Stanford, Isanti Townships and my fellow City of Isanti Citizens. The Isanti Fire Department is being transformed into a Fire District Department. This Fire District includes the previous mentioned Townships and the City of Isanti. I strongly support this transformation as it gives complete responsibility and authority to the Fire District.

The issue I have is the current agreement gives one vote per Township and City. This gives The City of Isanti 1 vote out of 7 or 14% of the total. This may seem to be a fair distribution of power, but it is not. During 2005, Isanti’s share of the budget was 28%. As Isanti grows our share of the budget will grow. I do not want to see the day when Isanti is paying 40% to 50% of the total budget, yet has no true control over how the money is spent.

This arrangement could see four of the Townships, with less than 20% of the budget contribution, control 100% of the expenditures in the near future. Currently, the four smallest contributors’ portion of the budget is 37%. This is not fair representation.

I offer the compromise solution of weighted votes in fiscal matters and a 1 vote per entity for all other matters. This would mean in the current situation the City of Isanti, which pays 28% of the budget, would have 28 votes out of 100 for fiscal matters whereas Oxford Township, which pays 2.37% of the budget, would receive 2 votes. During a vote for Fire Chief or other officers, each entity would receive one vote each.

We must reach a fair and flexible agreement that will stand the test of time. I, as a representative of the Citizens of Isanti, must make sure Isanti does not lose authority over its expenditures. The proposed agreement mandates that each entity must levy taxes to pay their share of the expenses. This is fair so long as each entity has proper representation regarding expenditures. The proposed Fire District is to be discussed at the individual Township and City Council Meetings. The proposal is intended to go into effect January 1, 2006. It is critical every member of the Fire District has authority that is equal to their financial responsibility. I will not support this agreement as written.

Thank you for your time and if you have any questions or comments please contact me at 763-444-7158 or george.wimmer@genesiswireless.us.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you will get some support at least on the City Council

Anonymous said...

Why would anyone from isanti not want to have a weighted vote? We do not want to end up in a mess were we are all fighting in a few years and this getting broken up

Anonymous said...

Can you get this in the papers? It is really good. You are the best thing to happen to Isanti.

Anonymous said...

you are giving to much by not having a weighted vote for every decision. do no comprimise everything away. the weighted vote for the money is great but these little townships should not get to much influence

Anonymous said...

fair is fair. do not let the city give away its rights

Anonymous said...

I liked the letter to the editor in the County News. Thank you for keeping us informed....no one elese seems to care.

Anonymous said...

George,

Your proposal makes to much sense. I guess there is no way it will be approved.

Anonymous said...

Who represents the city on the board now. Why was this not caught before?

George said...

Penny,

Council Members Johnson and Larson represent Isanti on this board. Why they had not challenged this I do not know. As soon as I was made aware of this clause I felt it had to be changed.

I know it is not fair to the Taxpayers of Isanti. I will fight this agreement unless it is fixed.