About Me

My photo
I have served the City of Isanti as Mayor since 2007. We have accomplished great things together and I look forward to building on our success. United, we move forward to a better future. You may contact me at 763-442-8749 or e-mail me at george@georgewimmer.com.

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

November 15th Council Meeting Update

Last night’s Council Meeting had two contentious topics of debate.

The first was the street improvement Public Hearing. The controversy revolved around the Richard Avenue neighborhood. Sewer improvement, sidewalks and the extension of Richard to Main Street were proposed. The sewer improvement is needed to replace old clay sewer lines that have the potential to breakdown. The other two issues however would destroy the character of this tranquil community.

This neighborhood and several others in this section of Isanti were originally designed to a rural standard. This means the roads are narrower than normal city streets. This section of town also has beautiful mature tree growth. Side walks would erode away the usable land of each home owner. The sidewalks would also have the potential of destroying current trees. If some of the trees are saved, their root systems have a chance to destroy the sidewalks. I was able to successfully argue that sidewalks were not needed in this neighborhood.

The last issue is the extension of Richard to Main Street. This has the potential in the coming years to add a heavy traffic load through Richard’s narrow street. The potential of increased traffic is created with the possible Hotel construction and other businesses locating at the east end of Main Street. I am hopeful this needed development will occur. I am against the connection of Richard and the extra traffic this development will cause these residents. Richard loops to a Highway 65 access. People will naturally flow to the easy 65 exit.

I ask my fellow Council members to rethink their decision to extend Richard. We need to keep unique neighborhoods in tact. We have a great deal of new cookie cutter construction. Let’s keep some of Isanti’s distinct character alive for future generations to enjoy.

The second controversial topic was the proposed Clark Construction project west of Fifth Avenue and south of Spirit Brook. This area had been previously zoned R2 single family homes. Unfortunately the City Council on a vote of 2-1 approved a rezone to R3. This puts the possibility of 8 unit buildings in an area of single family homes. The rezone was requested by Clark Construction to maximize the lands value.

I have voted against the rezone of this project twice---once at Planning Commission and once in City Council. I voted against the preliminary plat twice----once at Planning Commission and once in City Council. This type of housing is not compatible with single family homes.

The issue came at last nights Council Meeting when Mr. Clark had his Attorney lecture the Council on how we had to vote for this project or face legal action we would surely lose. I was disgusted by this strong arm tactic. I will not allow my vote to be coerced in such a fashion. I have and always will vote my conscience. I can not allow the threat of legal action take the City Council’s Sovereignty away.

The final vote was 2-2 which means the proposed plat failed to be approved. Council Member Kennedy and I voted against and Council Members Johnson and Larson voted in favor. Mayor Apitz had a conflict of interest and had to abstain.

The Council heard an update on the Central business District Revitalization Project. This project is near and dear to my heart. This district encompasses the area in and around Main Street. This project has the potential to transform this district into a thriving business community. Main Street is the heart of Isanti. We need to maintain a strong commitment to rebuilding the business community along this corridor.

The last item I wish to discuss is the proposed Fire District. I am in favor of this action so long as Isanti receives the appropriate amount of votes on the governing body. If Isanti’s Taxpayers pay 25% of the cost then Isanti should receive 25% of the votes. This will be discussed at the next Fire Board Public Meeting Thursday November 17th.

I will as always update you on these issues.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Mayor Abstained because he had a conflict? Call the paramedics I think I am having a heart attack from the shock!!!! However Dave Clark trying to get richer and using whatever means necessary including strong arm legal tactics to do so, does not!! He is a LIFE member of the good old boys network and is an old pro at putting the squeeze on this community. When will all the BS end? I am afraid it will only end when I move out of this city, like the rest of my friends and neighbors have. I will add this and the railroading of the richard ave. street improvements to the long long list of reasons to leave. I am afraid even if all your dreams for this city were to come true George there is no way it can balance out the pros versus the cons. Thanks for fighting though, at least one of you at city hall does.

Anonymous said...

keep fighting for us George...thank God you are not afraid to do what is right

Anonymous said...

Why do developers think they can run you over? Why would you put higher density housing in the middle of single family homes. I bet none of the other council members who voted for this live there.

Anonymous said...

MAke sure that we get teh right amount of votes o n this fire board. I do not want a repeat of Chisago County mess

Anonymous said...

How can they take away your vote? Why does a court get to tell us what to do?

Anonymous said...

I may be wrong but I thought that the area by spirit brook had already been zoned to for multi-family housing??? Isn't that area already a bunch of duplex type of housing??? And isn't the type of housing that would be added to the community senior housing??? I guess my big issue with this is why put a law suit on the city that the city can't win, since the area was already rezoned that that Mr. Clark could build the townhome like housing. I am glad that you want to try to change our community for the better, but don't get us into something that you can't get us out of.

Anonymous said...

George,

I know that you are trying to help our community, but bashing people constantly doesn't make you look very good.
I am glad that you want to keep the community posted on what is going on. But when you are trying to make others look bad it makes you look worse.

George said...

You seem very well informed....The fact is I will not allow my self to be black mailed into a bad decision.....The rezone was on a 2-1 vote. This area is single family homes.....This area will no have the potential of 8 plexes...when you rezone to R3 you have no idea what will be placed there. I would have hoped Clark Construction could have been willing to comprimise and not use strong arm tactics.

George said...

The two previous comments are from the same aol person.....interesting...this is one of the things you have to be aware of when you blog. People try to slam you through an interesting process.

I am very confident in the process I use in my blog. I hope you have a nice day....

George said...

I would also take issue with the Idea that anyone is getting bashed. I am stating the facts and the Citizens of Isanti can make up their own minds...maybe that is what scares those that do not like the change that is blowing in the wind.

Anonymous said...

which council member or clark employee was that ripping on you. funny that the person says you should not bash but then just bashes you. what a bunch of useless people

George said...

Kirk, it is ok. We have to understadn that some people will always be critical of what I have to say. I could delete these comments but I think it is important for everyone to see the free exchange of ideas. I hope everyone understands the great society we live in that this can happen.

I started this blog to keep citizens informed. I am glad my critics read my blog. This is how I know it is working.

Anonymous said...

I hope everyone realizes that the gang of three has ties to Clark Construction. The Mayor works for the guy and johnson and larson are his friends and go to his church.

Why can't we get more people like you on the council that do not have their hands in the cookie jar?

Anonymous said...

Do not let people intimidate you by lawsuits. Sometimes you have to fight for what is right.

Anonymous said...

George,
Just to clarify things, I am not a member of any council in this community. I grew up here and decided to move back to start a family. I am college educated and I know how to ask questions. I am also very intrested in knowing what is going on in the community that I am living in. You tell one side of the story which is your take on it and that is fine, that is what free speach is for. I would just like to say that there are a few different ways for people to learn more about what goes on in city council meetings. They can either go to the meetings, or they can also go to the cities web page and read the minutes, (everything thing that is said during the meeting is recorded and then they placed on the web page word for word).
Like I said before, I am glad that you want to help our community, but people need to make their own informed decisions.

George said...

The Council Minutes are a very brief and often do not tell the whole story of any meeting. I am hoping that the meeting recordings can be placed online so anyone may listen to them. The city Clerk does a good job but a meetings minutes are a brief overview of what actually takes place. Minutes are not a word for word of a meeting.

There are very few if any direct quotes from Council Members. The last issue with the meeting minutes is that it often takes a month or so before they are posted. the last minutes on the city website are the unapproved October 4th meeting minutes. WE are almost two months past this date. This gives the public very little time to respond to anything said or approved at a meeting.

I hope more people would come to the City Council Meetings. I want everyone there. If they were the city would be much better run. Many important decisions are made when no one is looking. I am trying to shine a bright light into city government.

As always it is great to have discussion even with people who do not agree with me. Keep the communication going.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous...how can you beat George up on stating his opinions and keeping us informed. Why would you run him down for bringing everyone into the debate. I have a job at night and can not be at these meetings. He is the best thing for Isanti. Life long Isanti resident.