About Me

My photo
I have served the City of Isanti as Mayor since 2007. We have accomplished great things together and I look forward to building on our success. United, we move forward to a better future. You may contact me at 763-442-8749 or e-mail me at george@georgewimmer.com.

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Rapid Residential Growth

The sewer and water rates are the first indication of the high cost of rapid residential growth. I have been successful in driving property taxes lower but the 7.81% reduction is only a fraction of the increased sewer and water rates.

The water and sewer rates had to rise to cover the ill-advised partial rate reduction last year and new city growth. I continue to stress that new developments pay for themselves. Current city tax payers should not subsidized new growth.

We must always ask how any new development will affect Isanti’s tax base and City Budget.

The new development impacts the following:

Road construction and maintenance
Traffic impact
Water capacity
Sewer capacity
Police protection
Fire protection
City staff time
Park and trail maintenance

These are just an example of all the cost associated with growth. If this is properly understood and budgeted, then Isanti will be successful. We must also bring in new development that only improves Isanti.

We can not continue to destroy neighborhoods to benefit new development. Hillock Court is only one example of an existing neighborhood being irreversibly altered to the financial benefit of a developer.

I will, in my capacity on the Planning Commission and City Council, make sure we have answers to all these questions. A majority of the City Council however must make the correct decisions.
Development must pay for itself.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just another reason why there will be a For Sale sign in my yard this spring. I also know of 4 others who will also be selling and 2 others seriously considering it.

Anonymous said...

This is definitely a discouraging matter! My wife and I just moved here January this year and we were hoping this would be a great place to live because of the booming area, but now it just seems like we may have gotten in at the wrong time.

George said...

Isanti is a terrific place to live. As with any town there are issues that need to be resolved and fixed. Isanti has the best park and trail system around. We are on the verge of a business explosion as well. Our overall fee structure is very competitive with any other town. I have been able to lower the city portion of property taxes by 7.81%. The issues that we face have to be worked out before they become significant problems. This is my goal as a Council Member. My wife and I moved here in 2001 and love Isanti. I feel so passionately about this town that I decided to put my efforts into fixing the problems. I strongly believe in planning and preventative measures. The issues we face a re serious but together we can build an even greater Isanti. Please e-mail me directly at george.wimmer@genesiswireless.us and I can answer any other questions you may have.

Anonymous said...

I built my home back in 1999 and have seen my taxes skyrocket! Our property taxes are as high as the homes in Andover., but valued less. I am waiting for the right time to put a For Sale sign in my yard too! Never again will I move to an area where the burden is put so heavily on the homeowner. I'll move to a city that actually has enough businesses to take some of the burden.

George said...

A business community has two possible financial benefits for a city. They either need to provide livable wages or pay enough in property taxes to keep residential taxes lower. These are my goals for business development.

Anonymous said...

George,

I'm curious. On your blog you made the comment several times that... "I have been able to lower property taxes by 7.81%." How is it that "you" did that. Are there not other members on the city council?

George said...

If you would follow the debate on the budget you would see how this all unfolded. It was not until I pushed to keep a tight line on expenses that the redution occured. I had wanted further cuts including the Administrative Asst at $54,000 but Mayor Apitz, Council Members Johnson and Larson all voted to keep this position. The redution should have been even more. This shows elections matter. Citizens that want lower taxes will remeber this and other votes come election time. The question you ask can be asked of anyone in public life who says they have done something. I stand by what I said. Look at the tax increases of the years before I was elected.

Anonymous said...

Sorry it took so long to respond.
Thanks for the clarification.
I personally think that business expansion is the ticket to controlling runaway taxes. With more jobs created, you can help eliminate the commute for folks. They would then work in town which would help keep more dollars in Isanti vs. people stopping at "Cub" to shop on the return commute for example. Also, a city with a thriving industry base will consequently have a solid tax base.
This would take some of the burden off "the folks".
Can you shed some light on councils decision to not incorporate MN's JOBZ program here in Isanti. I understand that virtually all of the surrounding communities voted in the other direction. It seems to me that a Polaris or an Andersen Windows setting up shop here would have a long lasting benefit to the community. Without it, we are going to be sledding up hill!

Thanks!

George said...

I had asked the Question of the EDA. They simple said they did not vote for JOBZ because they did not vote for JOBZ. The issue I could see is that JOBZ can only be used for new business not existing. It is a tool like any other. WE should not limit ourselves from using all financial tools.