About Me

My photo
I have served the City of Isanti as Mayor since 2007. We have accomplished great things together and I look forward to building on our success. United, we move forward to a better future. You may contact me at 763-442-8749 or e-mail me at george@georgewimmer.com.

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

January 3rd Council Update

There are two topics from the Council meeting I want to discuss. The first is the Greater Minnesota Housing Fund (GMHF) Grant Agreement. The 2nd item is Isanti's water quality.

The grant agreement covers $50,000 from the Greater Minnesota Housing Fund. This grant is tied to the Comprehensive Plan. I had several questions centering on the requirements placed on the City. I questioned the definition of affordable housing.

The definition provided is total housing cost to the homebuyer is no higher than $140,000. This would entail the City subsidizing these homes. With lots currently being sold with ranges of $50,000 to well over $100,000 Isanti taxpayers will be asked to help fund each new "affordable" house.

The Housing Fund requires an “adequate” level of affordable housing and participation in a model project. The model project again is a method to create affordable housing.

I have significant concerns with these types of projects. This type of project assumes there is not enough “affordable” housing currently in Isanti. I have asked for a survey of Isanti’s current and planned housing stock. We need to know what we have before we add more low cost housing. I believe Isanti has a core of this housing currently. If we start adding new low cost housing on the outer rim of Isanti, we will no longer have the natural impetus to maintain the current housing stock. This means that we could end up with many older homes being neglected and possibly turning into rental properties in the cities core. This is a problem many cities have had to manage.

Isanti also needs to maintain a level of housing that generates enough property taxes to provide required services. We can not focus primarily on low income housing. The focus needs to be on providing adequate housing options for current and future residents. This project also assumes a level of local subsidy.

The main method used for creating these model “affordable” housing projects is small lots. The GMHF recommends 60 and 40 ft lots. This would require building house on top of house and causes me further concern.

The first step in this process is obtaining the information I requested on current housing stock. Secondly, if we have a need for more affordable housing, then we need make sure we keep a balance between older and newer properties. I want to make sure if this type of project is created, it will help those that are in need in the community. Isanti taxpayers should not become the solution for low income housing issues in the greater metropolitan area.

I understand the need for low income housing. I grew up in an extremely poor household. I also understand the need to maintain a balance between low, medium, and high end housing to have a healthy community. I look forward to a vigorous public debate as we move forward in this process.

The other topic of water quality was discussed. The taste and order of Isanti’s water has suffered from the high residential growth. The chlorine equipment has reached its capacity. A new larger unit will be ordered to again improve the taste and smell of Isanti’s water. There is not a health concern. Enough chlorine has been added to remove any harmful germs/bacteria. Any questions, please let me know.

No comments: