About Me

My photo
I have served the City of Isanti as Mayor since 2007. We have accomplished great things together and I look forward to building on our success. United, we move forward to a better future. You may contact me at 763-442-8749 or e-mail me at george@georgewimmer.com.

Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Latest State Budget Deficit

The latest State budget deficit has come in at $6.3 Billion but since the State has used $1.8 Billion in stimulus to offset this number they are claiming "only" $4.57 Billion. Much of the money in the stimulus has strings attached that does not allow the state to cut the programs the money is being used for.

This sets up a much bigger cliff for us to fall off in 2 years. So regardless if you are a Democrat or Republican - or this is a revenue vs. spending problem - the structural mess we are in has simply been punted down the field. The deficit is still massive and there will still be painful cuts but with the prospect of much more stimulus money in the federal pipeline I fear the real problems will not be addressed.

I do not like commenting on federal or state issues but this one does affect how our City moves into the future. We can not allow our budgeting process to get sucked into the shell gamed played on the state and federal level.

No comments: