About Me

My photo
I have served the City of Isanti as Mayor since 2007. We have accomplished great things together and I look forward to building on our success. United, we move forward to a better future. You may contact me at 763-442-8749 or e-mail me at george@georgewimmer.com.

Sunday, July 31, 2005

Council Meeting August 3rd

The August 3rd council Meeting has two topics that seem to be drawing a lot of attention. First is the approval of the Millwork for the New City Hall. Council Member Johnson has submitted a quote. His quote is the lower of the two that were received. I however have been given no information of what will be built. I have also received dozens of calls and comments regarding this process. All have questioned how it is fair for a Council Member to bid on a city job. I also have great apprehension on this process. I have been told some did not bother to quote feeling the “fix” was in for Council Member Johnson. I will be unable to vote either way until more information is produced on what will actually be built for each quote.

The other item I have received calls and comments on is the discussion of Brian Iverson continuing to serve the City on the EDA. He has great economic power already from being the Isanti’s biggest developer. He is also developing a large tract of commercial property. These two points alone cause a per se conflict. Many individuals and companies that have worked with and in competition with Mr. Iverson have complained about his representing the City on such an important and powerful appointed body. Citizens of Isanti also question how this can be a fair and transparent process. How can anyone compete with Mr. Iverson when they come in front of the City Council? With his membership on the EDA Mr. Iverson also has tremendous access to other Council Members that no other developer has. I hope to have an honest and open discussion of his continued service on the EDA.

Both of these issues go to the core of what is perceived as the “Old Boy Network”. We must strive for fairness and transparency in all that we do in the name of the City of Isanti.

No comments: