About Me

My photo
I have served the City of Isanti as Mayor since 2007. We have accomplished great things together and I look forward to building on our success. United, we move forward to a better future. You may contact me at 763-442-8749 or e-mail me at george@georgewimmer.com.

Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Preliminary Budget

The preliminary budget was discussed tonight. Council Member Kennedy and I again fought to have a zero tax increase. The current budget proposal has a 3.3% levy increase. This is however only part of the story. The total budget would increase by 28%. I am asking city government to live on a 25% total increase. This 25% is in the increase in Local Government Aid and the new tax dollars from the city growth. I do not want current city residents to pay for the city growth. I will continue to fight to have the rapid residential growth pay for itself. The sticking point is the $54,000 Administrative Assistant position. Mayor Apitz, Council Member Larson and Johnson voted for this position. I feel this is not needed and an outrage to the Isanti City Tax Payer. We increased three staff positions last year and will be adding another 2-3 for 2006. The city is growing but we need to make sure we run a trim and lean administration as we move forward.

The other financial issue haunting the city was the reduction in sewer and water rates in 2004. This has lead to a running deficit in these funds. I had wanted this as part of the total budget discussion tonight. These rates will have to be increased as well. This means there could be a 3.3% property tax increase as well as sewer and water rate increases. This becomes a financial burden for families working on a small if any pay increase. Isanti needs to be attractive in its property tax rates. We continue to inch our way to high property tax rates. I will continue to fight these increased taxes.

For further information please read the following article. http://www.isanticountynews.com/2005/September/7levy.html

No comments: