About Me

My photo
I have served the City of Isanti as Mayor since 2007. We have accomplished great things together and I look forward to building on our success. United, we move forward to a better future. You may contact me at 763-442-8749 or e-mail me at george@georgewimmer.com.

Thursday, May 18, 2006

46 Pages

I have reread 46 Pages: Thomas Paine, Common Sense, and the Turning Point to American Independence. I have never given my opinion on reading material but this is a powerful book.

Thomas Paine lays out the argument for changing the relationship with Great Britain. The point that seems most salient to our situation is the idea that a system which has been in place for so long seems right because of its longevity. Paine refutes this idea point by point.

Fundamental change is always the hardest. Paine knew this and described the sacrifice needed to make such change in his next great work The Crisis. Our situation is not so dire nor so desperate but the challenge still needs to be met.

I encourage you to read these works if you have time this summer. They are short and yet encapsulate the basis for our system of government and the sacrifice needed to maintain it. We all often forget the great society we live in because of our busy day to day activities. It is these moments that we must remind ourselves to be ever vigilant. Freedom is taken bit by bit so as not to be noticed.

Remember we get the government we deserve by our votes.

No comments: