About Me

My photo
I have served the City of Isanti as Mayor since 2007. We have accomplished great things together and I look forward to building on our success. United, we move forward to a better future. You may contact me at 763-442-8749 or e-mail me at george@georgewimmer.com.

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

The power of JOBZ

Here is another instance of a City that uses the JOBZ program.

http://www.isanticountynews.com/2006/May/17italianfirm.html

Cambridge has lured MAPE, USA to their city. MAPE stated the JOBZ program will give them a tremendous advantage. Isanti's EDA had refused to use the JOBZ program. After I was elected to the Council I asked the EDA to reconsider. They flatly refused. I asked for an explanation and they said they just did not see its value.

Many of our neighboring Cities use this program. MAPE will have 15 employees and will spend $5.5 million dollars on production lines. These are good paying jobs. While Isanti has to fight over whether or not a company should have 2 or 3 $8 an hour jobs.

Change is needed desperately. We must shift our focus and expectations. We can not continue to subsidize low paying jobs while our neighbors attract strong businesses that pay livable wages.

This issue is important to all Isantians. Isanti needs more business growth to help alleviate residential property taxes. If Isanti continues to attract strip mall and low paying industrial jobs we will not be able to break free of high property taxes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Who is on the EDA at this time?? It is obvious they haven't got a clue either!