About Me

My photo
I have served the City of Isanti as Mayor since 2007. We have accomplished great things together and I look forward to building on our success. United, we move forward to a better future. You may contact me at 763-442-8749 or e-mail me at george@georgewimmer.com.

Thursday, October 19, 2006

Rebuttal to Council Member Johnson's Letter to the Star

This is my rebuttal to Council Member Johnson's Letter to the Star that is published in the Voter Guide. He states I make City Staff nervous and have the wrong priorities for Isanti city spending and taxes. The only ones getting nervous are Mayor Apitz and Council Members Johnson and Larson. I was surprised that the Star did not give me a chance to rebut his letter attacking me in the voter guide. More prospective voters will read the guide versus the normal paper. I am hoping the Star will publish my rebuttal at the very least in the normal paper. I hope this will bring better balance to this situation.

I would have found Council Member Johnson’s letter funny if it were not sad. Let us take this point by point.

Isanti City spending has increased by over 40% in the past two years. Mayor Apitz, Council members Johnson and Larson voted for a tax increase but were bailed out when the final numbers came in from the County Assessors office. My point of the extra $350,000 the city collected last year is we need to give it back before it is spent. The Liquor fund has over $850,000 and growing. In my 12% property tax reduction plan I wanted to use $175,000 from the excess taxes and fees and $200,000 from the Liquor fund. This would still leave $175,000 in the excess taxes and fees and $650,000 in the liquor fund. The real issue is Mayor Apitz and Council members Johnson and Larson want to spend all this money. Council Member Johnson was wrong about the LGA Isanti Has been given. It has risen dramaticly the last two years. He either does not understand or purposely did not tell the truth.

The vote on the Administrative Assistant position was for a total cost of $54,000 in the 2006 budget. This includes salary and benefits. This was chosen over a police officer that would be on the job today. Mayor Apitz and Council members Johnson and Larson voted against the officer position in 2005. This election year they have changed their tune.

These three have voted in lock step for every developer proposed project. What Council Member Johnson did not say in his letter was that he and Mayor Apitz make money off this development. Johnson owns a cabinet shop in town and the Mayor owns and operates Apitz Painting. This is a conflict of interest. Council Member Johnson has done work directly for Isanti’s biggest developer, Brian Iverson, and still votes in favor of all his projects.

Council Member Johnson also praises council Member Larson. She believes the citizens of Isanti are not taxed enough. She states this in her own campaign material and I quote, “We need to be realistic and understand that in order for our city to continue to be increasingly viable and economically sound that taxes will need to increase”. I could not disagree more.

The choice is clear, business as usual or progressive reform. If you want a city run for big developers and want high taxes then you should vote for Mayor Apitz and Council Member Larson.

We need to reform our City Government and bring long term financial planning to Isanti. Priorities matter.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was wondering when they would start slinging mud. you need to get this in the paper, George.

Anonymous said...

Hang in there George. The gang of 3 are going to be trying to shoot you down. Just a few more weeks and you will win. The corruption has to stop. Thank you for putting yourself in the line of fire for us.

Anonymous said...

who was bought off at the star. why did they let an attack on you happen with no response. seems like they have picked apitz as their candidate.

Anonymous said...

They must be getting scared. keep after them

Anonymous said...

Thank you for doing this. I know it is hard to fight this good ole boy network but only a fews day and we will have our victory.

Anonymous said...

When will they learn that everytime they attack you it only helps. Keep up the fight.

Anonymous said...

When will they learn that everytime they attack you it only helps. Keep up the fight.

Anonymous said...

Ralph complains that your numbers are wrong, but ignores the facts. The fact is that the taxes in Isanti and TOO HIGH!!! They are at least 25% higher than the neighboring communities. What plan does Ralph have to reduce the taxes? Sorry, but my "services" that Ralph talks about have not increased. In my option they have decreased. Where's the enforce of city ordinances? Where's the mosquito control? I guess the "services" he speaks of are subsidies to businesses that shouldn't be in the city in the first place. Three $8/hr jobs required and they are only able to produce two $8/hr jobs, one for the husband and one for the wife. But the city gave them $100k to start this business and allowed them another year without penalty. This must stop now! Vote November 7th.

Anonymous said...

I had a flier from Apitz on my door Saturday.Is he kidding. How much money is he spending on his lies.

Anonymous said...

I have yet to see a flyer from Apitz. Perhaps my house was so disgusted with his painting job it spat the flyer back out into the wind to never be seen again.

I need no flyer from any of them at this point. Their track record speaks worlds more then any propaganda they could stick in my door.

I wonder why the attack is directed at George and no other person running. (that question is rhetorical and needs no answer)