About Me

My photo
I have served the City of Isanti as Mayor since 2007. We have accomplished great things together and I look forward to building on our success. United, we move forward to a better future. You may contact me at 763-442-8749 or e-mail me at george@georgewimmer.com.

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Safe Routes Grant

The Park and Recreation Board, that I chair, is applying for a Safe Routes grant. This could be up to $175,000 for a project. We have focused our attention on filling in gaps along the highway 5 sidewalk system. This will extend sidewalks from Hillock Ct to the Elementary school along the north side of highway 5.

The other gap to be filled is from the strip mall (Subway) in front of the apartment building on the south side of 5 to the newly constructed Federated Co-op building. This will create a safer route for children in this area walking to the elementary school. There is no City or County right of way in this area and an agreement on a purchase price would need to be negotiated with the private land owners. It is far from certain and is generally the most expensive part of this type of project.

The final Park and Recreation decision will be in November and then passed on to the City Council for Final approval. We will also be asking the County and School Board to pass resolutions supporting our grant application. This intergovernmental support can be a plus when applying for grants.

I am dedicated to bring safer routes to Isanti. We owe it to all our citizens and especially our children and seniors to create safe routes along our busy streets and highways.

If you have any questions please e-mail me at george.wimmer@genesiswireless.us or call me at 763-444-7158.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm behind you on that 100% George. How often can we apply for something like this? Could we use another Grant in the future in another area?

Anonymous said...

I hope voters get that George actually gets things done.