About Me

My photo
I have served the City of Isanti as Mayor since 2007. We have accomplished great things together and I look forward to building on our success. United, we move forward to a better future. You may contact me at 763-442-8749 or e-mail me at george@georgewimmer.com.

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Safe Routes

Even though Safe Routes will take a dramatic leap forward in 2006 we have more work to do. For more information on the success of 2005 and 2006 go to Safe.html.

The expansion of City limits East of Highway 65 poses new challenges. We must construct a walking bridge over 65 to create a safe route across this deadly highway.

If elected Mayor I will continue my program of extending sidewalks along highway 23 and 5. The money already slated for sidewalk construction in low traffic quiet neighborhoods should be used on highway 23 and 5. This will save the mature trees in distinct Isanti neighborhoods and fund sidewalks where they are desperately needed.

I support Walking School Buses. The 911 School District has a restriction on busing children that live within certain distances to school. Walking School Buses are a minimal to no cost method to safely take children to school.

If the School District continues to restrict busing, our children will be at risk walking to school. I hope the School District will embrace walking buses if they continue to restrict school bus funding.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok is it just me or does your plan make sense. Why would they not want to follow your plan?

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to see you are still the champion for the Walking School Bus. Isanti County Active Living has been trying for three years to get committed volunteers to take on a Walk to School Day or a Walking School Bus. Please keep talking about it and taking action, we are here to support your efforts for more kids being active and trying to find the volunteers to make a difference. Thanks George.