About Me

My photo
I have served the City of Isanti as Mayor since 2007. We have accomplished great things together and I look forward to building on our success. United, we move forward to a better future. You may contact me at 763-442-8749 or e-mail me at george@georgewimmer.com.

Thursday, October 20, 2005

Citizen Input

I am looking for citizen input on defining the future of Isanti. As many are aware we are working on a new comprehensive plan. This plan will guide the development of Isanti for the next 5 to 10 years. These are the years that will lay the foundation for generations to come.

During this period we will redesign our Main Street Business District. We will define the types of residential housing patterns. Everything from lot size and driveway width to the need, if any, for low cost housing and apartments will be considered. We will determine where we want business and industrial growth.

I want to make sure we maintain Isanti as a unique place to live and work. I dread the concept of One Cookie Cutter City after another from Blaine to Cambridge. We need to create a climate of creative thinking.

We need to provide the services and shopping opportunities our citizens need. We need to have hotels and restaurants to capture the visitor dollars generated from our extensive recreational opportunities. Our soccer fields, BMX track, park and trail system, Rodeo and Jubilee Days, Isanti Fall Music Fest and many other activities bring thousands of people to our community. We need to capture these dollars. This can be accomplished while maintaining our unique feel through the planning process.

We also need to keep distinct neighborhoods in tact. New development should not alter Isantiƃ‚’s special appeal. I am a newer resident myself. My family moved here in 2001. I am not against growth. The growth does need to pay for itself. Rapid residential growth spurs growing cost that needs to be properly budgeted.

These costs include more public works employees and police and fire protection. These come with a cost. A large portion of our city's budget is financed by development fees. As development slows in the future these cost will become a burden on city taxpayers. I am working to keep our city's budget lean and insist on a transition plan being in place when development fees taper off. I do not want to reach a day when development slows and the city tax payer is hit with an extreme property tax rate increase.

Many cities have faced this tough transition and have had to make drastic property tax increases. This may seem far into the future but it may be only a few years away.

If we plan properly these and other issues may have a smoother transition. This is where public input is so important. Our citizens have a wealth of knowledge that will have a positive impact on our decision making process. I for one will listen to your suggestions and concerns. Please contact me at george.wimmer@genesiswireless.us or 763-444-7158.

We have an incredible future ahead of us. We have added great city staff that will be able to help work through this process. Citizen input is still the most important item. I am excited about the work ahead of us. Together we can accomplish our goals and create an Isanti we will be proud to call home for generations to come.

Thank you for your input.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is great thanks for including us. I am new too. I moved from Blaine and do not want a repeat here.

Anonymous said...

How can the same group that messed it up last time be doing it again this time?