About Me

My photo
I have served the City of Isanti as Mayor since 2007. We have accomplished great things together and I look forward to building on our success. United, we move forward to a better future. You may contact me at 763-442-8749 or e-mail me at george@georgewimmer.com.

Monday, October 03, 2005

Water and Sewer Rates

The Council met tonight in open session to debate the shortfall in the sewer and water rates. The outcome is that the rates will need to be raised. This is caused by the rate reduction last year and the increased cost of an expanding city. I will be looking at keeping a low base rate for the small water users, especially Isanti's senior population. The low base rate will lead to a higher per 1000 gallon rate. This will make heavy water users pay for the water they use. This seems to be the only fair way to pay for the cities water usage.

This is a decision that is hard to make but must be done. We can not allow the water and sewer funds to run deficits. Negative net income in these funds could mean the loss of grants and low rate loans for city water and sewer improvements. We must make sure that Isanti is on firm financial ground.

I will also only vote for a rate structure that solves the structural fund problems. Any questions please let me know.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

WHY DO YOU MAKE IT SEEM LIKE ONLY YOU ARE WORKING FOR THE GOOD OF THE CITY? THE CITY WAS FUNCTIONING WELL BEFORE YOU CAME ALONG. THOSE OTHER COUNCIL PEOPLE AND CITY STAFF HAVE WORKED VERY HARD FOR THE CITY AND YOU TRY TO DEGRADE THEM. THAT IS NOT GOOD. YOU HAVE A I,I,I ATTITUDE. PEOPLE SHOULD READ THAT INTO ACCOUNT AS THEY CONTINUE TO HEAR FROM YOU.

George said...

Well considering this is my blog and my opinion and my work it would have an I center. It is also interesting that a critical opinion is sent anonymously. If everyone thought the city was working well I would never have been elected last fall with the most votes of any City Council Member. Change needs to happen. This posting states it pretty clearly.

Last years vote to lower water and sewer rates has put the sewer and water funds in crisis.

Most of the City staff does an excellent job. The previous city administrator however was not. That is why I motioned to remove him. Sue Larson and Mayor Apitz voted to keep him. We now have improved our administrator position tremendously. We also see more mistakes made by the previous administrator in the city hall construction. The vote to retain the previous administrator will also be remembered.

I could go on and on but the Citizens of Isanti can see for themselves what needs to be done. Change will continue to be made.

Anonymous said...

what a shame....who ever it is that put you down....prob a council member....they can not handle that you doing the right thing and they just waste time trying to get rid of you..keep fighting for us George....

Anonymous said...

You have to be kidding. they are already trying to shut you down. this city needs a lot to change. if they do not get that then they need to move out of the way.

Anonymous said...

So are there other members with a forum ore web page such as this? Keep up the good fight, stay the course and people will know that you are for the better. And I agree, your blog, so I, I, I, I away!

Anonymous said...

Yes, I,I,I away George.. if anyone reads the little city council notices, the ones after a meeting on that was said, etc.. they said that our water was bad ALONG time ago, way before it was actually published, question: Will we ever be able to drink it?? You are refreshing to this town.. so ya know deep down they'll find a way to replace you...
*Note: the city of Montivideo offers help of all sorts for jobs, housing, etc, in hopes people would consider moving there, more to follow.
George would you like more info on this? err.. ya want to go down with the rest of us, trying to call this goofy town home..?

George said...

Isanti is my home and will be. We can all make this town better by worker together.

The water issue is a problem. I am do not have great confidence that the idea of adding another well and mixing the water will solve this issue for the long term. We will possible need to treat our water. This is an item that needs to be looked at for the long term budget impact.