About Me

My photo
I have served the City of Isanti as Mayor since 2007. We have accomplished great things together and I look forward to building on our success. United, we move forward to a better future. You may contact me at 763-442-8749 or e-mail me at george@georgewimmer.com.

Monday, July 21, 2008

Commissioner/Mayor's Race

I was hoping to stay completely clear of the 3rd District Commissioner race but since one candidate has made it his mission to campaign with my opponent against me; it is necessary that I defend myself.

Council Member Ralph Johnson, who is running for Commissioner, is campaigning against me with Council Member Sue Larson.

I would like to know what they are running against.


  • My Tax Cut
  • My fist time in modern history cut in city spending
  • My ending their years of exploding budgets
  • My making residential development finally pay for itself
  • My Long Term Financial Plan
  • My stronger ethics and conflict of interest policy
  • My vote to replace our former City Engineer
  • My repeated votes to protect Distinct Isanti Neighborhoods
  • My fight against their use of Eminent Domain to hurt a 74 year old couple by taking their property rights and using them to help their friend Brian Iverson.
  • My challenging Mr. Johnson for a conflict of interest when he was voting on Brian Iverson issues even though he had been working for Iverson.
  • My catching Ms. Larson filing a bogus expense report to be paid for a trip she never drove.
  • My votes to block wasteful spending
  • My votes blocking the needless spending of $2,000,000 to replace the existing liquor store, adding debt and having the harmful affect of raising taxes to fund this construction because the liquor store fund would have been completely drained except for operational funds.
  • My vote to add police protection
  • My vote protect our Citizens from cancer causing water
  • My push to lower our water rates
  • My work to bring in high paying jobs
  • The over 300 new Jobs in Isanti since my swearing in. Isanti had 1132 at the end of 2006 and as of June 2008 we had over 1460, a 29% increase in 18 months. This number will only grow with Isanti Retail Meats and the High paying jobs of Ever Cat Fuels
  • My work along with Landmark Bank and City staff to bring Ever Cat Fuels to Isanti and our being awarded the Economic Development Association of Minnesota's Business Recruitment Award. Raising Isanti's profile throughout the state as a City where businesses want to go.
  • My work to market our city
  • My work on the Tax Abatement and Revolving Loan Fund to promote business growth
  • My work on the Isanti Retail Meats as a future lynch pin for Downtown
  • My creation of the Mayor's Great Yard Award to honor our Citizens great work
  • My creation of the Mayor's Employer Recognition Award and Lunch
  • My development of the new Isantian
  • and on and on and on
Facts are stubborn things. We can not go backward to the days of a few running the city for themselves. Council Member Johnson will face his first test in September's Primary and Ms Larson will have to wait even longer till Novembers General Election.
The darkness can only last as long as the light of truth does not shine its way. Both of these individuals tried to shut down this very blog in 2005 at the order of Brian Iverson, who has left a wake of devastation in our great City, because I started to shine the light on their activities.
I need your help to make sure the past does not darken our future.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

maybe mr johnson should hire ms larson to work for him, she worked out at the old charcoal plant and we all know that burned up, she worked at the creamery cafe and that owner had to sell out, ? was there money missing there too and she did not get caught. so mr johnson please hire her to run your books so the city can get her out of office, that would be the best thing you could do for the city of isanti.george have no mercy and make it a landslide victory for the people of isanti. VOTE GEORGE WIMMER FOR MAYOR!!!!

Anonymous said...

I just read the old story about the creamery, I had forgotten about that mess. Sue stepped in and blamed the long time employees for all the problems and then Sue bacame the manager. It was a short time after that it went out of business until the great current owner stepped up to make it a go. Sue became "manager" in April and it closed in June.

Funny line in Sue's letter to the paper at the time of the Creamery mess said you can not pay out more than you take in. If only she believed that when t came to city budgets.

Anonymous said...

George, I hope you won't lose any sleep over this deal with Larson and Johnson. Records speak for themselves.

I'll go ahead and congratulate you on winning your next term as mayor now.

Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

keep letting people believe that your telling them everything when really you only tell them what you want them to know. Why dont you tell how well you treat the city staff. You look down your nose at everyone and treat the city staff with no respect. You have no idea how to run a city the staff is what is making you look good.

George said...

Well let’s answer these goofy “anonymous” accusations.

1. Three key staff hires have occurred with me on the personnel committee and doing the interviews as part of this committee whiles a Council Member. Our City Administrator, my opponent wanted to keep the previous one, the Finance Director and our City Planner. I praise city staff when they do well and I work to correct issues when they arise.

2. Since becoming Mayor the city has taken a completely different direction on priorities. I have had great help from CM Kolb and CM Duff on doing this. The key staff has not changed since I took over as Mayor but the direction has. I along with, at the time, Chamber President Guthmueller visited numerous local businesses from which the Isanti Retail Meats project sprung.

I worked first hand on the Ever Cat Fuels project and have spent hundreds of hours on business development. Another case in point is the Marketing plan I working on creating with staff.

I meet with new prospects, sit on the County EDA, help recruit new businesses, on ICP, on City EDA and promote business friendly policies to increase our ability to expand existing and recuit new businesses.

It seems you are trying to make the point that whoever is elected does not matter and the City bureaucracy should be left to run the City on its own. Terrible idea…

Since you seem to believe you know so much why not provide a specific example with a specific employee of how "terrible" I am instead of making a wild accusation.

This is of course one of the claims from 2006 campaign that made by the triumvirate of Apitz, Larson and Johnson.... did not work then and will not work now....

the policies we have set in the last 18 months are good for the city and we are making great progress. I have no problem with someone being critical with me especially when they attack me personally becaomes that means they have nothing else to attack me with.

I went through this in 2006 and am sure this is only the beginning. My record speaks for itself.

Anonymous said...

"Anonymous" have you pressed larson on what she has ever done in her "10" years on the council or why "her" carpet business of 50 years is not in Isanti and in stead in ham lake???

May she does not want to pay her high taxes that she passed over those years on the council.

give me a break

no worries George

Anonymous said...

i don't want george to be all cudly with staff. he is suppose to make sure the work gets done. i would be upset if they all loved him.

look at all the good changes and to say george does not matter is silly at best and ignorant at worse.

george tells us what he thinks and what he does, who else does that? No one has to read this blog.

the line that is funniest is staff is heroicly fighting against that evil george and doing it all on their own. if this was not real life it would be funny but instead it is simply sad. politics and more politics.

Anonymous said...

I was told about the "anonymous" posting and could not believe it. What is George suppose to do just sit and be quiet and not talk to us. Why is anonymous mad at George for telling us what he thinks and why he does what he does.

Agree with George or not he has changed a lot in this city for the better.

Anonymous said...

In regards to Tom's comment about Sue Larson- "Why her carpet business of 50 years is not in Isanti and instead in ham lake???
Maybe she does not want to pay her high taxes that she passed over those years on the council."

Well, Isanti can thank her for not having her business (Central Carpet - 13340 Central Ave. NE Ham Lake, MN 55304) here in our county. She owes over $5,000.00 in delinquent property taxes to Anoka County. Also she hasn’t paid her 2008 property taxes yet, that’s about another $2,000.00. The Anoka County Property Records Website can verify this.

Justice said...

I have been in the area for 6 years, but was told about the corruption involving Sue Larson and others prior to moving here. Sue must not realize that some of us new folks have connections. I think it is time for the media to step in and put Sue Larson in her place. Transparency is bliss.
George Wimmer for Mayor!!!