About Me

My photo
I have served the City of Isanti as Mayor since 2007. We have accomplished great things together and I look forward to building on our success. United, we move forward to a better future. You may contact me at 763-442-8749 or e-mail me at george@georgewimmer.com.

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Tax Levy and Tax Valuation

OK now another interesting fact is the interplay between property tax levy and property tax valuation.

The County Assessor's latest assessment of the City of Isanti will cause an increase valuation in property values which will generate roughly 7% more tax revenue to the City. This means for a real cut in property taxes the Council will need to cut more than 1% or 2% off of the levy. If the cut is small you will still pay more in taxes next year than you do now.

We can not go back to the years of a 32% increase in City spending in 2005 or a 20% increase in 2006 as voted for by the former Mayor, CM Johnson and CM Larson. I voted against each of these budgets but I was not yet the Mayor and did not have enough support on the Council.

The real scary part is some seem to think this is the floor of spending and we can not go back to correct this excess. I want us to continue what we started last year and cut spending back to a reasonably sustainable amount. Even though you and I did not approve of this excessive spending we must take the steps to fix the problem. We absolutely can not allow the problem to grow by spending more than we can afford.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I argued the assessors increase in my property value. The county thought it should increase. I thought it should decrease, given the market the last 12 months. We met in the middle and it was unchanged.