About Me

My photo
I have served the City of Isanti as Mayor since 2007. We have accomplished great things together and I look forward to building on our success. United, we move forward to a better future. You may contact me at 763-442-8749 or e-mail me at george@georgewimmer.com.

Saturday, August 05, 2006

Stolen Yard Signs

A few of my signs have been damaged and stolen. This is done by one of two types of groups—misguided kids or insidious little cowards that do there worst in the shadows of the night.

If it is kids, then they simply need to be taught that trespassing and destroying personal property can not be allowed. They should be also taught that they are committing a greater crime against the Freedom of Speech. Campaign signs are a form of political speech. Political Speech is the most protect form of speech. We must all be able to debate ideas openly and honestly.

If it is the insidious little cowards that are unable or unwilling to dwell in the realm of ideas and debate, then only legal action can curb their destruction. I know not what so darkens a person’s soul that they must strikeout by trespassing on personal property and destroying a few words on a sign. What insignificant mind must think this is a good idea.

If you disagree with me or simply do not like me then express that in a hundred other ways that do not involve breaking the law or harming your neighbors. You would not like to have someone walk on your property and violate your rights.

If your sign has been stolen please contact me at george.wimmer@genesiswireless.us and it will be replaced.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess another police officer should have been hired instead of another admin.

George said...

One should have been hired, although there are a hundred better reasons than stolen yard signs.

It happens every election cycle. I have over 30 signs stolen in 2004. We just have to not allow such goofy behavior stop the message from getting out.

Anonymous said...

My sign is still there!

My guess is that it's not kids doing this-----kids often have more maturity and better judgement than the adults around here.

Anonymous said...

My sign is still there, but I watch it 24/7 as I have nothing better to do.

George said...

24/7 may be a bit much.....20/6 would be fine...and yes this is a tongue in cheek response.