About Me

My photo
I have served the City of Isanti as Mayor since 2007. We have accomplished great things together and I look forward to building on our success. United, we move forward to a better future. You may contact me at 763-442-8749 or e-mail me at george@georgewimmer.com.

Saturday, November 04, 2006

Churchill Quotes

As some may know Sir Winston Churchill is a personal hero of mine. If you get the chance read the "Last Lion" two volume biography of Churchill by William Manchester. I thought I would list a few of his most memorable quotes to give us all a break from election postings for a day.

Courage is rightly esteemed the first of human qualities... because it is the quality which guarantees all others.
Winston Churchill

Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen. Winston Churchill

Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things.
Winston Churchill

Danger - if you meet it promptly and without flinching - you will reduce the danger by half. Never run away from anything. Never!
Winston Churchill

I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter.
Winston Churchill

Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
Sir Winston Churchill, Speech, 1941, Harrow School

Many forms of Government have been tried, and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.
Sir Winston Churchill, Hansard, November 11, 1947

I would say to the House, as I said to those who have joined this Government: 'I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears, and sweat."
Sir Winston Churchill, Hansard, May 13, 1940

All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Sir Winston Churchill

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.
Sir Winston Churchill

Every day you may make progress. Every step may be fruitful. Yet there will stretch out before you an ever-lengthening, ever-ascending, ever-improving path. You know you will never get to the end of the journey. But this, so far from discouraging, only adds to the joy and glory of the climb.
Sir Winston Churchill

He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire.
Sir Winston Churchill

History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.
Sir Winston Churchill

I have always felt that a politician is to be judged by the animosities he excites among his opponents.
Sir Winston Churchill

I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.
Sir Winston Churchill

It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required.
Sir Winston Churchill

Personally I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught.
Sir Winston Churchill

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
Sir Winston Churchill

The price of greatness is responsibility.
Sir Winston Churchill

There are a terrible lot of lies going around the world, and the worst of it is half of them are true.
Sir Winston Churchill

We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill

Lady Astor: "Winston, if I were your wife I'd put poison in your coffee."
Winston: "Nancy, if I were your husband I'd drink it."

No comments: