About Me

My photo
I have served the City of Isanti as Mayor since 2007. We have accomplished great things together and I look forward to building on our success. United, we move forward to a better future. You may contact me at 763-442-8749 or e-mail me at george@georgewimmer.com.

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

City Hall Rain Garden

The Cambridge Star is running an article on rain gardens. I have proposed Isanti City Hall include a rain garden to capture its water run off. The City is planning on installing gutters to City Hall. The rain garden would capture this water in an environmentally friendly manner. Another benefit to the rain garden is the aesthetic appeal it will have.

Rain gardens have tremendous benefits. Using City Hall as a pilot project will help show residents the ease and benefits of using rain gardens. Here is a link to Minneapolis rain garden information. http://www.ci.mpls.mn.us/cso/rain-garden.asp

There are many sites with useful information. Please explore these option and contact me with any questions.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So let me see if I understand right. We've gone over budget how far on city hall and it does not have gutters?

What is the cost comparison between a rain garden and gutters for city hall?

I won't go strictly on price, but at this point if its $800 for gutters and $1800 for a rain garden, I might lean more towards the gutters.

George said...

The gutters would happen with or with our gutters. The Rain Garden would be created where the dry holding pond is. The only cost would be landscaping and the tubing to take the water from the gutter spouts to the garden.

One of the main issues facing Isanti is water quality and contamination. Rain Gardens offer a very low cost way to make a marked improvement. The area in question is slated to have landscaping. The actual increase in cose would be very low and I will be looking for donations to cover this cost.

We must offer solutions to the problems development have caused.

Anonymous said...

After reading a little bit more on it, and your explanation, I'm down with it. I think it is a good idea.

I may actually want to try something like this at my house next year. It is rather interesting.