About Me

My photo
I have served the City of Isanti as Mayor since 2007. We have accomplished great things together and I look forward to building on our success. United, we move forward to a better future. You may contact me at 763-442-8749 or e-mail me at george@georgewimmer.com.

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Mayor's Race

I have a few Mayoral positions I will bring to Isanti if elected.

I will layout the frame work with City staff for a 1, 3, 5, 10 and 20 year budget. This coupled with a Capital Improvement plan will set Isanti on long term financial footing for years to come. Currently the city does no long term planning leading to poor decisions.

Decisively change Isanti's current lack luster approach to bringing in new businesses. We need to have a trained person focusing like a "laser" on economic development. This is will include an aggressive marketing plan aimed at strong industrial growth and needed commercial businesses. Isanti currently spends less than .001% of the City budget to bring in new businesses.

I will have set office hours so any Citizen or Taxpayer may come talk with me. This will open up the communication process so everyone is treated equally no preferential treatment is given to the wealthy and powerful.

I will begin a Mayor's award for the best yards in Isanti. I have been pushing for a Community Service Officer to enforce Isanti's nuisance ordinances. I also believe we need to positively reinforce those home owners that are doing a great job with their yards. Each month of May, June, July, August, September and October yards would be nominated and the top three winners named and published and granted donated monetary awards.
I believe strongly we must have positive reinforcement as well as a proactive Community Service Officer to ensure great looking yards that benefit everyone.

If elected Mayor I would ask that an advisory body be created each time the City builds a new building or does significant remolding. A prime example of where this would have been helpful is the building of City Hall. This project was over $500,000 over budget and still has significant problems that need to be solved.An advisory body would be made up of volunteers that work in the construction trades. These individuals would not be bidding or working on the City project and could give advice and help manage the project. Experts in the field could point out potential pitfalls and help the Council pick the best options available. This would be a common sense step that can ensure the success of future projects including the upcoming liquor store remolding/expansion.

I want to talk about environmental concerns. Isanti needs to look at opening up and changing landscaping and drainage standards. This could include varying landscaping or the use of rain gardens to help control water run off.
We must seriously explore all solutions to our environmental concerns. Wildlife corridors and environmentally sensitive development will ensure a city that will be prosperous, safe and beautiful for generations to come.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

George--Ithink the Community service officer Idea is a great one. What kind of training would be required? It would be something that I would really be interested in doing...I am currently giving serious thought to joining the Police Reserves in Isanti. We all need to take responsibility for what goes on in our city and do what ever we are able to do to provide a SAFe and CLEAN community. I will check back for any ideas or info you have about the CSO.

Good Luck Tuesday!!

Andy

Anonymous said...

George--What kind of training would be required for the CSO position?? I think it is a great idea and would be very interested in doing something like that for our city. I will keep an eye on this post for your comments.

Thanks. Good luck tuesday!!

Andy